Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Beginning

My journey started twenty three years ago when I was working at the local ski hill for the winter.  It was a great time spent, learning lots and having lots of fun.  When the winter was over, I came down from the hill and settled in a community east of Vancouver, BC called Hedley.  It was there that I was managing a campground/hotel/cafe and that is when I met my future husband.








Jim was moving from Burlington, Ontario to Vancouver Island where his parents and sister were living....He left Burlington on a motorbike, travelled lazily through northern Ontario and Manitoba stopping along the way to camp at night and enjoy his travels.  He quite quickly went through Saskatchewan and Alberta till he got to the Rockies....of which, he slowed down a bit to enjoy the scenery.  One night he decided to camp near Greenwood, BC.  He got his tent set up, got his food for the night and went back to the campground to sit there and wonder why he was there as he "felt" that it wasn't the place to be.  He packed up his gear, gave the food and beer to a person nearby, and got back on his bike and drove.  He left Greenwood, which is just west of Grandforks, and drove through several communities and by several campgrounds till he got to Hedley. 

That night, I was suppose to go to Penticton to be with my family there for dinner.  I decided after our busy  weekend, I was too tired to go so cancelled.......meanwhile, I was cleaning up the cafe and putting the stuff away from the day when Jim came in.  He had supper, booked a hotel room for the night and as was customary for the campground, we usually had a communal bonfire at night.  Since there was only him and another couple there, I invited them to the bonfire.  As it turned out, Jim was the only one that showed up and we talked till the wee hours of the morning.  As I thought he was going to be gone the next day, I said my goodbyes and went to bed.  The next morning, Jim was waiting for me at the cafe.......he booked the campground for a week.

We spent the following week swimming in the river, talking till all hours of the night, eating our meals together and just having fun and getting to know one another.  At the end of that week, Jim asked me to move to Vancouver Island with him and we have been together ever since.

When you look at everything, there were so many things that could of changed up even meeting at all....Jim staying in Greenwood, me going to Penticton to be with my family, Jim going on the wrong highway at one time then getting himself turned around........  There were so many things that could of changed our chance meeting......a chance meeting that has lasted for 23 years and still going strong.  It was the best chance meeting of my life and one that I will never want to trade for anything else.

Well, that is my first addition to this blog.  There are many more to come as our story began 23 years ago and still continues now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment